Project Wonderful

Monday, March 4, 2019

What I've been reading lately

I have some very exciting things planned for myself and this blog coming up but it's leaving me with scant time to write as I would like to. Still there is so much going on in the world that I'd like to discuss with you and share so I've decided to start a weekly roundup of campaign and election-related material that I've found interesting.

Here is round one:

You Don't Have to Like Bernie Sanders to Like Bernie Sanders on Jezebel
This is possibly the most eloquent expression of my feelings on Bernie Sanders' 2020 candidacy and I didn't even write it. For lefty progressive women who are not comfortable with Bernie or those trying to understand us, this is a great read.
Female Donors Gaining Influence as 2020 Kicks Off on OpenSecrets

I wrote and thought a lot about women donors in grad school so I am always interested in following these trends. Where a candidate's money comes from, including gender breakdown of donors, says a lot about them and the trends show that women are leveraging our economic power to our political advantage like never before.
The Electability Trap from WaPo
Enough with this "but other people won't elect a woman" bullshit. It's a trope and a lie that only perpetuates itself.
The Shutdown Made Sara Nelson America's Most Powerful Flight Attendant from the New York Times
Trust me, you're going to love this woman.
Ranch Lady on the Hill and elsewhere
This is the most quintessential Iowa Caucus moment ever to ranch on ranch dressing. The intimate setting. The entitlement. The ranch. If I had to summarize the caucus experience in nutshell, this would be it.
Bernie Sanders Asks Surrogates to Engage Respectfully With Democratic Rivals
It's been really interesting to watch the dialectic in Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign of trying to do better and old habits dying hard.
Dollars on the Margins from New York Times Magazine
To quote straight from the piece "A living wage is an antidepressant. It is a sleep aid. A diet. A stress reliever. It is a contraceptive, preventing teenage pregnancy.It prevents premature death. It shields children from neglect."
Campaign Culture Must Change by Brice Barnes on Medium "Campaigns are the last species of business to adapt to change. It is the ultimate workplace where there are no rules, no boundaries, no employment handbook, and typically no formal Human Resources department. Everything goes and it truly is the survival of the fittest and strongest. As a professional in the land of no rules, especially as a woman, and even more so as a mom, I find myself working within an industry lacking a handbook for people like me." I am feeling this so hard as I think about my next steps in my career path, my desire to be in the same place as my husband and to eventually start a family. Weird how you guys started crying.
Elizabeth Warren is Not Doing Call Time or Fundraisers on CNN and elsewhere
It should be noted that Bernie Sanders had this same policy in 2016. And it makes sense...if you're in a crowded primary and running against special interests. That said, an I cannot stress this enough, Democratic donors large and small know who Sanders and Warren are and where to find them. Candidates: unless you are a national name you still have to do call time. Sorry.

What are you reading? What else should I read? Let me know if you liked this round up and you'd like to see more.



Campaign Love and Mine,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment