Project Wonderful

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Help! I Just Got Laid Off! Now What?

 



There seems to be an epidemic of layoffs in progressive sphere. Obviously if you are working on the ground on a campaign you were expecting an end date but if you have taken a job in the broader campaign-aligned world with the express desire for some job security this can come as a bit of a shock. Before you embark on a brief but well-earned pity party here are some steps to take to make sure you are set up for success when you're ready to move on. 

1) Be clear on what the company is offering you. How long will you continue to have health insurance? When is your last paycheck? Are they offering you resources like access to career coaching to find your next gig? (This is something I am seeing more and more in the progressive non-profit space.)

2) Gather any important metrics that you will need for your resume. This might include number of volunteers trained, size of a rallies organized, amount of grant money secured etc. Download any documents you created that you might want to use as a writing sample or portfolio. 

3) Thank your boss and let them know you would love the opportunity to work with them again when funding and your skill set are aligned. If this is truly about eliminating a position or a department it is helpful to let them know you'd like to be considered for future opportunities with the organization.

4) Ask if you can rely on their help. It can feel daunting and embarrassing to reach out two weeks later to a boss who has just let you go but if/when you are in an emotional place where you feel comfortable doing so you can say something like, "I am really sad to hear that but I understand. As you know I am passionate about this work and I know you are really respected in the community. Is it okay if I reach out to you for some networking help while I'm looking for my next thing?"

5) Apply for unemployment. Where I grew up there was a definite stigma about receiving unemployment benefits so I want to be very clear. This scenario is exactly is what unemployment exists for. I credit my husband for really helping me understand how bizarre that stigma was. You have been paying into these benefits so take advantage of them. 

6) Take a moment for yourself. Feel your feelings. Relax. Not having a job can be super stressful but if you are able take some time while you are looking go ahead and visit friends, get some exercise, enjoy nature, journal, whatever sparks joy for you. It is true that when you have time you don't have money and when you have money you don't have time so if you do have a little bit of money saved up, make the most of your time so you can go into your next adventure as the best version of yourself.

7) Let other people know you are looking. The further along you get in your career the harder it can feel to ask for help. Each of the last couple times I have been between things I have had the distinct pit in the stomach feeling of "Ugh I shouldn't have to be doing this." But here's the thing: EVERYBODY does. Literally no one in this business has gotten where they are without networking (incidentally what that means for equity in our industry is a whole other kettle of wax, but it's the truth). In fact, if the people you're networking with are consultants, no matter how fancy and important they are they are doing this all the time. So truly do not feel gross about doing this and if people make you feel gross, they are gross.

8) When you are telling people you're looking make sure to be as specific as possible. When people tell me "hey I'm looking let me know if you hear anything" I am likely to just invite them to join my listserve. But if someone tells me "I'm looking for a job working in LGBTQ+ politics" or "I want to be based in Nevada" then I'll think of them when those jobs come up and send them along. If you have a close relationship with the person passing along opportunities consider giving them feedback on the jobs they're sharing with you. For example "thanks so much. That would be a significant pay cut from what I had been making I'm really looking for a salary of at least X." 

I'm sorry you are in this position and I hope this post is helpful! Until next time.

Campaign Love and Mine,

Nancy 


No comments:

Post a Comment