Project Wonderful

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ask An Election Nerd: Should I leave my current campaign to go work for another one?


I've gotten this question a lot in several different iterations and while my answer isn't very detailed, I wanted to put something out there once and for all:

Generally, I will not hire someone who had previously left a race they were on this late in the game, even if it happened in a different cycle. I think it shows a lack of loyalty and character. Remember, we work in a very small world.

I also think it is bad practice to poach someone else's campaign staff. At the end of the day we're all Democrats and no "level" of campaign, Presidential, Federal, Local, is more important than another. This is the kind of attitude that leads to messiness and resentment that lingers long after the campaign ends and frankly it's disrespectful and condescending. (That's right. You know who you are.)

That said, if you are on a non-competitive race and you get offered a position somewhere competitive, that's another story. Same goes if you have become genuinely disillusioned with your candidate or operation or if you are an intern or unpaid staffer being offered a paid position. Then by all means, go for it.

I mean really, do whatever you want. You will neither be the first nor the the last. It's just kind of a crappy thing to do unless you have mitigating circumstances as described above.

So close and yet so far!
-Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment